2013 - 2018
Heavy Duty Machinery, Excavator Operation, Basic Service Training
The project ‘Promoting youth employment by supporting technical and vocational education in Liberia’ aims to support the development of human capital via quality technical and vocational training necessary to support economic growth in the mining, agriculture, agro-forestry and construction sectors. In particular, the project will train workers for the heavy equipment sector, which is necessary to support the reconstruction efforts in the country after the Ebola crisis. At the same time, it will create opportunities for young people. This will be achieved by strengthening and building on the existing institutional capacity of Liberia’s vocational training system to deliver up-to-date training courses relevant to the requirements of enterprises operating in the country.
To achieve the intended objectives of the project, UNIDO is further strengthening the heavy equipment training infrastructure of the Booker Washington Institute (BWI) that was established with the support of the Government of Japan in partnership with Komatsu Ltd since 2013. The selected training institution will serve as a center of excellence where the core activities will be concentrated and delivered. The implementation arrangements are designed to ensure institutional capacity is strengthened, modern training courses are delivered, private sector linkages are established and the overall efforts are sustainable.
RESULTS & OUTLOOK
- Establish a modern training academy, in partnership with Komatsu Ltd., able to provide labor-market oriented training programs in excavator operation and basic service training to an overall yearly intake of 200 young men and women from Liberia
- New curriculum modules developed and approved by relevant authorities
- Introduce staff development plan for conducting skills upgrading for all trainers in teaching methodologies and technical skills
- Students undertake apprenticeships in relevant industries to gain practical experience
- Career service points established to facilitate apprenticeships and the transition of graduates into the workforce
- Government of Japan
- Komatsu Ltd.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Liberia
- Ministry of Education, Liberia
- Booker Washington Institute (BWI)